We all love music and what really gets us to a particular song is the beat attached to it, sometimes the lyrics, or maybe more other factors.
Well, have you ever wondered why you, particularly, are really into a specific song that perhaps others aren’t into? Ever desired to know what the science behind it is about and the connection between the song and your mind?
Well, “This is Your Brain on Music” book is here to help you understand what causes this and much more important information around music and the brain.
Inside This is your brain on music book review here, I will be helping you understand the most essential areas of the book like the gist of it, some more meat of the book, comparison with another great book on the topic, the pro’s and con’s, customer reviews, video reviews on it, who the book is for, where best to buy it and my final thoughts on the book.
Name: This is Your Brain on Music
Author: Daniel Levitin
Best Place to Buy: www.amazon.com
Publication Date: August 28, 2007
The Gist of The Book
This is a book that looks at why we enjoy music, how we listen to it, the connection between music, its performance and the human brain.
The book will help you understand music at a much deeper level because the author draws on musical example from people such as Levitin and also incorporates his latest research in it.
From the book, you will get to understand:
* The driving force behind music expertise
* How a particular beat gets stuck in your brain
* Why you are specifically attached to music you listened to as a teenager
* How composers come up with pleasurable beats by exploiting the way your brain make sense of the world
* And so much more
The author of this book is called Daniel Joseph Levitin FRSC.
He is a musician, American-Canadian cognitive psychologist, record producer and neuroscientist.
He was born in December 27, 1957 and enrolled at the Berklee College of Music before dropping out of college to work as a record producer. He joined a succession of bands that later helped him create a record label by the name 415 Records.
He is also known for drawing attention to the role of cerebellum in music listening, distinguishing familiar from unfamiliar music and tracking the beat.
As you can see, he is an author passionate in the area and hence he is able to provide incredible content to you on music.
Some More Meat of The Book
Here, I will take you through the key areas of the book you should know before buying this book.
The main aim of the author in this book, is to help you understand why you love music the way you do and the whole concept around it.
The author looks at many topics pertaining music all which have been written in a way that is catchy and interesting for you, and you are surely going to love it.
The first few chapters of the book will particularly be fascinating to you because the author looks at the physics of sound.
Trust me when I say that the breakdown of music has never been this interesting!
The section that looks at the inner workings of the brain will also be very interesting to you because you get to understand why you love a certain song on a really deeper level.
Levitin does not leave any stone unturned on the topic and you will also see that when you get to read it.
He carefully explains the theoretical parameters and characteristics of music, alongside scientific findings about how the brain interprets and processes these characteristics, among other important topics.
In summary, you will love this book and understand a lot regarding your brain on music.
Who is The Book For?
The book targets anyone who is into music and would love to understand the topic of music and the brain.
Everyone for sure has a special song that they love and that is why I recommend this book to everyone to understand why they are so hooked to that particular song. It really does come in handy.
Pro’s and Con’s of The Book
* The book is very interesting in the way the ideas have been expressed and therefore is something you want to keep reading
* The book is very insightful as it will help you learn and understand a lot on music
* The book is also well written. The author has organised his ideas well in the book and ensures that he explains content in the book well.
* The author of the book is experienced in the area and has shared most of his knowledge and learning one the area in the book.
* Some people have said that the book is a bit too detailed for the average reader.
This might be so for some people, but not everyone.
It happens in a few topics, however, the author manages to make them really interesting. So that should not worry you.
This Is Your Brain On Music Vs The Music Instinct by Philip Ball
Also looking at music, The Music Instinct book is another great read that helps you understand how music works and why you can’t do without it.
Although the content in these two books is fairly different, both will help you understand music on a deeper level. I recommend doing the combination.
* A reader said that the book is quite a fun and interesting read that is also a real thought-provoker.
* There was also a reader that said the book is a fine, readable intro to music and the brain.
* Another reader said that the book is a fun read for waiting rooms.
* There was also another reader that said that he loved learning some of the history of music and the science behind our human emotional connection to music.
On the negative side there was a reader that said the book sometimes gets a little too detailed for the average reader (as I had earlier mentioned).
I have addressed this issue in the con’s section.
I also checked what people were saying about the book on video and saw the following video of a person that has read the book that will help you see what you can expect from the book.
Where To Order Your Copy of The Book
This Is Your Brain on Music is available on a lot of platforms but the best place I recommend you to buy the book is on www.amazon.com because it offers a lot of benefits for book lovers such as:
* Free access to prime reading
* Free shipping for print book
* No extra cost once you get one kindle first ebook a month
* Free access to audible channels and so much more
As I conclude this review, I would like you to remember that from the book you will learn:
* Why you love a particular song so much
* How a particular beat gets stuck in your brain
* How composers make music that you love by exploiting how the brain views the world.
My Final Thoughts About This Book
This is such an interesting book! I mean what a way to understand our brains in music!
If you are a person who loves knowing how your brain works on different aspects of life, this is a book you want to read.
If you are also a music lover or a musician aspiring to make the most of your musical talent to touch the lives of many, then this will make a good sidekick to help you through it. I also recommend using the raikov effect to increase your musical skills if you are a musician. It is a really great program.
It teaches a lot on a topic we all love that is music and that is why I recommend the book to everyone.
And that is all about this book.
Another book I recommend you to read is Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination by Robert Jourdain.
This is also a great book to explore more on music and especially how it captures our imagination.
And that is pretty much it folks!
I would really love to know your thoughts, comments as well as questions on the book and topic. Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below to kickstart the conversation.
I will get right back to you as soon as I see them. I’ll be waiting for them. 🙂
Here’s to understanding the role of music in our lives! 🙂