I am really excited to be reviewing funkadelic maggot brain vinyl.I know you have probably had about it and that is why you want to find out what it is and other important aspects about it.
I will take you through what it is, features and important details about it, cost among other things.
I will try all my best to give you every single detail about funkadelic maggot brain vinyl and if by any chance i don’t tackle one of the things you really wanted,you can as well ask in the comments area and i will be happy to help you out .
Lets get started on the funkadelic maggot brain vinyl review.
Name: Maggot brain vinyl
Best Place to Buy: www.amazon.com
Studio album by: Funkadelic
Released : July 12, 1971
Recorded : late 1970–early 1971
Studio : Universal Studios, Detroit
Genre: Funk rock , psychedelic rock,hard rock.
Length : 36:56
Label : Westbound
Producer : George Clinton
What It Is
Maggot Brain is the third studio album by the American funk band Funkadelic .
It was recorded at United Sound Systems in Detroit during late 1970 and early 1971,
before being released in July 1971 by Westbound Records .
Maggot Brain features one of the more unfortunate covers in music history, with its front cover depicting a black woman buried up to her neck screaming in agony and back cover showing the same woman’s head, now become a skull.
Why, it’s so creepy ,i don’t know but what do you expect from a band that entitles an album “Maggot Brain” in the first place?
Other albums by funkadelic include:
Free Your Mind… and Your Ass Will Follow (1970)
America Eats Its Young (1972)
The band and its sister act Parliament , both led by George Clinton , pioneered the funk music culture of that decade.
Its past members include:
George Clinton – was part of vocals
Grady Thomas – part of vocals too
Ray Davis – was part of vocals
Clarence “Fuzzy” Haskins
Calvin Simon – also part of vocals
Billy Bass Nelson – bass guitar , vocals
Eddie Hazel – played guitar and was part of vocals
Tawl Ross – guitar, vocals
Tiki Fulwood – played drums
Bernie Worrell- keyboards , vocals
Garry Shider – vocals
Cordell “Boogie” Mosson
William “Bootsy” Collins
Phelps “Catfish” Collins
Jerome “Bigfoot” Brailey
Walter “Junie” Morrison
DeWayne “Blackbyrd” McKnight
Frankie “Kash” Waddy
However shortly after Maggot Brain was recorded, Tawl Ross , Eddie Hazel , Billy Nelson , and Tiki Fulwood left the
band for various reasons.
Funk rock is a fusion genre that mixes elements of funk and rock .
Many instruments may be incorporated into the music, but the overall sound is defined by a definitive bass or drum beat and electric guitars.
The bass and drum rhythms are influenced by funk music but with more sonic intensity, while the guitar can be funk- or rock-influenced, usually with distortion , which is similar to overdrive or fuzz.
Psychedelic funk (or funkadelia) is a music genre that combines funk music with elements of psychedelic rock .
Hard rock is a loosely defined subgenre of rock music that began in the mid-1960s, with the garage , psychedelic and blues rock movements.
It is typified by a heavy use of aggressive vocals, distorted electric guitars, bass guitar ,drums , and often accompanied with keyboards .
All this are genres of funkadelic.
Track List of this Album.
1. “Maggot Brain ” its writers are Edward Hazel , George Clinton and it runs for 10minutes and 21seconds.
2. “Can You Get to That” (released as a single- Westbound 185) its writers include George Clinton, Ernest Harris and it runs for 2:50.
3. “Hit It and Quit It” (released as a single- Westbound 198) writers are George Clinton, William Nelson and it runs for 3minutes and 50seconds.
4. “You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks” (released as a single- Westbound 175) George Clinton, Clarence Haskins , William Nelson, Bernard Worrell , Judie Jones (mistakenly credit) it runs for 3minutes and 36 seconds.
5. “Super Stupid” writers are Edward Hazel, Lucious Ross , William Nelson, George Clinton it runs for 4minutes and 1 second.
6. “Back in Our Minds” by Clarence Haskinsand it runs for 2minutes and 38 seconds.
7. “Wars of Armageddon” writers are Ramon Fulwood , Lucious Ross, George Clinton, Bernard Worrell .
2005 CD reissue bonus tracks
8. “Whole Lot of BS” writers are George Clinton, Bernard Worrell and runs for 2minutes and 11seconds.
9. “I Miss My Baby” (United Soul with Funkadelic, from the CD U.S. Music with Funkadelic ) writer is Clarence Haskins it runs for 5 minutes and 2 seconds.
10. “Maggot Brain” (alternate mix, recorded in 1971) writers are Edward Hazel, George Clinton and it runs for 9minutes and 35 seconds.
Production of This Album.
Produced by George Clinton
Executive producer – Armen Boladian
Bernie Mendelson in charge of The Eegangas
Cover photography by Joel Brodsky
Inside cover photography by Ron Scribner
Artwork design – The Graffiteria/ Paula Bisacca
Art direction – David Krieger
Album supervision – Bob Scerbo
Album co-ordination – Dorothy Schwartz
Model on album cover- Barbara Cheese borough.
Best Place to Buy The Book
The best place I recommend you buy the book is on Amazon. The price there is fair and according to my research, it is the most trusted online store at the moment. It will also be very convenient for you to buy there if you were planning to do more online shopping today.
They have not indicated how much it will cost in audio cassette.
My Thoughts About This Album
Funkadelic’s 1971 masterpiece is a classic recording. Ignored for years, it is now considered to be one of the all-time greats; an intoxicating mix of funk, soul and rock that showcased a group who were unlike any others at the time.
The album’s critical reputation rests on its title track. An extended instrumental, Eddie Hazel lays down more than 10 minutes of astounding improvisation, over a simple rhythm section.
I think it is essential for us to continue honouring legends by way of listening to theur music to keep their legacy alive.
Feel free to leave in your comments as well
as your questions.
I hope you found this review useful to you.