I never really thought that I would be reviewing a television series but hey, I am now and it is so much fun.
Everything that revolves around reflecting different aspects of the power of the brain like creativity, imagination and others get me really intrigued.
Let me also admit that I really love television series and that’s why I find reviewing one absolutely fun and helpful.
You probably have never watched the Brain Dead Series and I know that is why you are reading this to find out if it’s really worth the watch, right?
Don’t worry because inside this Brain Dead Season 1 review, I will be helping you understand the most essential areas of the series like the gist of it, plot, characters, comparison with another great series on the topic, the pro’s and con’s, customer reviews, video reviews on it, who can watch the series, where best to buy it and my final thoughts on the series.
Without further ado, let’s get started on this video review.
Name: Brain Dead Series
Best Place To Buy: www.amazon.com
Premiere Date: Jun 13, 2016
Creators: Michelle King, Robert King
Exec. Producers: Ridley Scott, Michelle King,
Robert King , Brooke Kennedy, David W. Zucker, Liz Glotzer.
The Gist of The Series
Brain Dead is a television series created by Michelle and Robert King that looks at American political satire.
The series covers three genres which are Comedy-drama, Political satire and Science fiction.
The “You Might Think” song by The Cars is used in the series to help you identify characters who are infected by the aliens.
In addition to this, Jonathan Coulton, a singer and songwriter writes and performs the opening song for each episode.
The series was released in English and its country of origin is USA.
The show initially aired on Mondays but was later moved to Sundays to make room for the network’s coverage of the Democratic and Republican National Conventions.
Michelle King and Robert King got married in the year 1987 and are writing partners.
Besides writing Brain Dead, they have created other series such as “The Good Wife” which earned them a Writers Guild of America Award and the legal drama series.
They have also co-written the episodes “Hi,” “Unorthodox,” “Stripped” and twelve other episodes.
They have one daughter called, Sophia.
Plot of The Series
Let me commence by saying that there are 13 episodes in this series.
The plot to each episode is lengthy because the storyline of the series stretches across the 13 episodes.
However, below is a really brief plot on what the episodes are built on.
The series looks at Laurel Healy, a documentary filmmaker, who works for her brother Senator Luke Healy with an aim to fund her next movie.
During her time there as a constituency caseworker, she gets to come across the bug conspiracy whereby, alien bugs are being used to replace the brains of several people, including members of Congress.
So what happens after she finds out about the conspiracy? What will her next move be? Will she eventually get her movie running? All these questions have been answered in the series. And I encourage you to get it so as to see the twisted series of events and the interesting fate of Laurel.
Characters of The Series
We will start with the Main Characters.
1. Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Laurel Healy sister to Luke Healy
2. Danny Pino as U.S. Senator Luke Healy (D-Md.), Laurel’s brother, who is the Senate Majority Whip.
3. Tony Shalhoub as U.S. Senator Raymond “Red” Wheatus (R-Md.), a Republican Senator who is among the first people to have their brains eaten by the aliens.
4. Aaron Tveit as Gareth Ritter, a staffer for Senator Wheatus who despite their polital differences still befriends Laurel.
5. Nikki M. James as Dr. Rochelle Daudier, a medical doctor who befriends Laurel and Gustav and helps them reveal the bug situation.
6. Jan Maxwell as U.S. Senator Ella Pollack (D-Ca).
7. Johnny Ray Gill as Gustav Triplett a.k.a. Dr. Bob, a conspiracist and pseudo-scientist who has discovered the existence of the aliens and how they communicate.
8. Charlie Semine as FBI agent Anthony Onofrio.
Next, let’s look at the recurring Characters.
9. Paige Patterson as Scarlett Pierce, one of Senator Healy’s mistresses and his Chief of Staff.
10. Megan Hilty as Misty Alise, a conservative political television commentator.
11. Beth Malone as Claudia Monarch, a liberal political television commentator.
12. Zach Grenier as Dean Healy, father of Laurel and Luke and former U.S. Senator.
13. Brooke Adams as Diane Vaynerchuk acts as U.S Senator.
14. Wayne Duvall as U.S. Senator Andre.
15. Amarant, Republican Leader in the Senate.
16. Glenn Fleshler as Aaron Blades, FBI Agent and Onofrio’s partner.
17. Patrick Breen as Cole Stockwell hired by Luke as a budget analyst.
18. Lily Cowles as Germaine Healy acts as Senator Luke Healy’s pregnant wife.
Finally we have Guest Actors
19. Margo Martindale as Dr. Joanne.
20. Alaimo Michael Moore as himself.
21. Jonathan Coulton as himself.
22. Kurt Fuller as J.K. Cornish and acts as FBI torturer.
23. Michael Gaston as Lawrence Boch acts as special investigator.
24. Santino Fontana as Kevin. He gets captured by Rochelle and is an infected person.
Who Can Watch The Series
The content of the series is quite mature and for this reason the series is meant for adults.
The Good And The Bad of The Series
* The series has a unique feel to it. It is not just the usual series that you normally watch with other series. For this reason, it might be quite interesting for you.
* The writing of the show is good. The creators made sure it would be a funny, witty and captivating as well in the way it portrays politics.
* The cast in the series is brilliant. They were able to bring out their characters very well.
* The storyline is thought provoking this is because it helps viewers understand something new about the political system and how it operates.
The show has some horrific episodes something that may not sit well with people that don’t like horror movies.
The series was cancelled and so cannot continue hence leaves viewers hanging.
On that note, here are some reasons why a series gets cancelled.
* Low viewership
* Unfavourable critical reviews
* Financial losses
* Make room for new programming
* Issues involving the program’s cast, conflicts among the show’s staff members
But I still encourage you to give it a go because you might find it very relevant and useful. I think it all boils down to how you personally find it.
Comparison With Another Almost Similar Show
I feel that the show has a really unique genre and for that I think that the show can’t be compared with another on the basis of genre.
However, if you need a show just for entertainment, there are so many captivating comedy shows such as “House Of Lies”.
One viewer said that the series is the most unusual that she has watched in a good way and for that, she loved it.
Another reviewer said that the series was very hilarious with a lot of truth incorporated in it.
There was also a viewer that said the series was well written and for that they really liked it.
Another viewer said that the series is a funny new show for people that love politics.
On the negative side,
There was a viewer that said the series was not interesting at all and there was also a viewer that said the series was really weird.
That is why I encourage you to view it and get to make your own judgement about it, because other people’s opinions on it might get you really confused.
Video Reviews On The Series
Unfortunately there were no video reviews on the series apart from short videos of the episodes and a trailer. Here is the trailer:
Where Best To Order Your Copy
To get yourself a copy of this series, I encourage you to go to www.amazon.com. This is because I find buying from the store to have so many benefits because you get:
* Access to prime video
* Free access to audible channels and so much more
As I conclude this review, I would like you to remember that from the series you will learn so much about:
* Political science
* Scientific and fiction
My Thoughts On The Series
This is a good series for entertainment. However, there are definitely better series out there. The fact that the series was cancelled indicates a lot of factors on the series.
Do I recommend it? Yes, because if you love politics and science as well as fiction, this will get you going.
And that is all about the series.
Another great series I recommend you to watch is called Veep. Really awesome stuff!
I would really love to know your thoughts, comments as well as questions on the series. Please leave them below to get the conversation going. I will get right back to you as soon as I see them. I’ll be waiting for them.
To Really Awesome Series!