You are wondering if there’s a software that you can use to help you communicate using your brain signals, right? And I am confident that, that is the reason why you are here, to know what openvibe actually is and if it can help you do it, and effectively so. Right?
Well, my openvibe review will be of great help to you as it will help you understand this product better regarding to what exactly it is, its functionality, how the system works, the benefits of buying it, customers reviews on it, cost, free downloads and the discounts that are dragged along when you purchase it.
Let’s get started with the openvibe review.
Author: OpenVibe Developers
Cost: Free to download
Best known for: Brain signaling
Rankings: 80 out of 100
What is OpenVibe?
OpenViBE is a software for neuroscience that is used for processing of brain signals to help improve your mental health.
It is mostly used to receive, filter, process, group and improve your brain signals, which will in turn increase the value of your brain as a whole.
Openvibe contains of a set of software modules that can be designed in real time applications for neuroscience such as Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI) and neurofeedback. They are actually very efficient.
BCI is a communication system which makes it possible for the users to send commands to computers only by using their brain activity.
This application brings great benefits as it does provide an alternative communication channel for those people who are disabled as well as for rehabilitation or neurofeedback training.
The creators of this software are the OpenViBE Developers. There is nothing much to say about the company because there is no information or history about the company as they don’t have an about page on their main website.
How it Works
This is a free software which is meant to acquire, process, group and display brain signals.
This application is made of group of software modules that can be integrated in an easy way and efficiently, in order to be designed in real time application for neuroscience.
A huge advantage of using OpenViBE is that it will be very easy for you to create a BCI without having to write even a single line of code.
OpenVibe has been made so simple that users will be designing a BCI by graphical programming, which simply means adding and bringing the boxes together, with each box corresponding to a given processing module.
This means, all the code work that was there previously has been removed to make things better for your use.
I think brainwave entrainment programs like brainev, Zen 12 and Brain Salon are the much simpler versions of these headsets as they work on the brain using special sounds with different frequencies that induce different mental states.
What is Included in the System
This software has various features and processing modules which help to you design the BCI. The features are as follows:
• Processing modules like temporal filters, FFT, spatials filters, ICA, windowing, wavelets, and time-frequency analysis.
• Classification modules which include: linear discriminant analysis, classifier combination and support vector machines.
• Visualization modules that include the raw signal, spectrums, 3D topography, 2D topography and more others.
• Simple interaction with virtual reality applications
• Acquisition from various EEG devices
• A BCI which is ready to go, and with options like motor imagery based BCI, SSVEP, P300-based BCI and neurofeedback.
This software has been extensively used in the medical field where it will be of so much help to disabled people, providing real-time biofeedback, in neurofeedback and in diagnosis.
It can also be used in the entertainment industry especially in virtual reality, video games, robots and also in other applications which are related to this topic.
The user interface of OpenVibe is very simple for you to use to make
BCI scenarios and also be able to save them to use them later.
You can access and manipulate them without any problems because the application has been written using the C++ programming language.
Cost, Discount and free stuff
OpenViBE is a free software and has been made available for all people to take advantage of, therefore no cost will be incurred when you decide to get it.
How to Use OpenViBE
For you to download, install, or compile OpenViBE from
sources, you will need to use the links on the downloads page.
Those video tutorials which are in only French and English will cover most of the concepts you should know of getting started with OpenViBE.
There are also documents that will describe how to work with different OpenViBE applications and components. Tutorials and examples have also been included in them.
They will give you a hand and ensure that you interact with the application the proper way. The documents include:
1. Acquisition Server documentation which has an Acquisition Server
2. Channel selection in acquisition server
3. Drivers: BioSemi ActiveTwo driver
4. Drivers: Brainmaster Discovery & Atlantis devices with OpenViBE
5. Drivers: BrainProducts actiCHamp driver
6. Drivers: Emotiv EPOC (how to connect)
7. Drivers: gtec gMobiLab+ driver
8. Drivers: LabStreamingLayer (LSL)
9. Drivers: mBrainTrain MBT Smarting
10. Drivers: OpenBCI Extensions: Fiddler – P300 ‘generator’ for debug Extensions: TCP Tagging (Software Tagging)
There are also Designer documentation which contain:
1. Designer Overview
2. Designer Tutorial 1: Creating a simple scenario
3. Designer Tutorial 2: Customizing a scenario
4. Designer Tutorial 3: Advanced box configuration
5. Designer Tutorial 4: Window Manager
6. Designer Tutorial 5: Metaboxes Special features
7. Box settings file format
8. Special features: Modifiable box settings
There are also videos which are in French and English that complement the documents.
So you should be sure to take a good look into them as well if you want to make the most of this application.
And that is all about the openvibe review.
If you have found anything not clear about this application, or if you have any questions, comments or concerns, please drop them below and I will surely help you out.