Many people will admit that living a focused and meaningful life everyday can be quite challenging. With all the difficulties we meet and the few problem solving skills that we have, we are bound to get depressed or overwhelmed by things once in a while.
But it should not be like this.
When you focus on living a more purposeful life with proper planning and execution of the tasks you have at hand, you will come to notice that things can go smoothly for you.
But you need to know that mastering the art of meaningful living is an education in itself and it needs good understanding if you are to do it right. And if you are wondering how you should learn this art, then I should say that the book here will be of great help to you.
This I’ve been thinking book review will be looking at the gist of the book, the author, some meat of the book, how it is going to teach you the art of purposeful living, the best place to buy it and my final thoughts on it.
So, grab a cup of coffee and let’s get started on this book review. 🙂
Name: I’ve Been Thinking: Reflections, Prayers, and Meditations for a Meaningful Life
Author: Maria Shriver
Best Place to Buy: www.amazon.com
Genre: Self Help Book
Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Publication Date: February 27, 2018
The Gist of the Book and More on the Author
This is a book that shares the things that a person dedicated to live more purposefully should get involved in and how they should go about everything to see that they are evolving into better versions of themselves and they get to master that kind of life.
The things that have been used to steer towards this direction are daily reflections, daily prayers and meditation. These 3 factors will help you come to know your calling in life, your source of peace, and you will get to discover what the book refers to as The Open Field.
This field is the place you will experience acceptance, passion, purpose, and joy.
The book will help you know where you currently stand, and understand pretty well where you are going. So, no matter the level you are in, whether things are going well for you or you feel completely out of place, you can use some extra push from the book.
The author of the book is the well known Maria Owings Shriver. She was the wife to Arnold Schwarzenegger and also a member of the very prominent Kennedy family. The link to this family is that her mother, known as Eunice Kennedy Shriver was the sister to John F. Kennedy, Ted Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy.
She is a renown author and journalist and she currently works at NBC News as a special anchor.
She has received quite a number of awards for her works including The national coverage of the summer olympics in 1988 which received an Emmy Award, developing a TV show that was said to have conscience which brought her an Academy of Television Arts and Sciences award, and for having produced The Alzheimer’s project which got her two Emmy Awards.
Some Meat of the Book
The book has stories of Shriver, how she has navigated through life over the years and the lessons she has come to learn. The experiences she talks about are pretty relatable to the things you may be going through and you will connect with it very well.
She has also shared more than 60 quotes, reflections and prayers that will help you increase your thought process and self awareness and understanding.
To “steal” some of the book’s content for you, so as to help you see how great the book actually is, there are some deep reflections I liked which you will find in the book like the chasing of the illusion of perfection, why we should stop trying, go it alone and I’m giving up complaining.
These are reflections I would say myself and other folks find quite life changing.
There are also a number of of topics she delves into that will provoke your mind into thought for deeper insights about your life and the universe as a whole.
Some of the topics include:
- Pursuing your passion in life – Here, she explains how you should find your purpose in life, how you should enjoy working on it, how you can benefit from it and how you should use it to give back to the world.
- Discovering your purpose in life – In this topic, she helps you understand what having a life purpose means, how to identify yours and how to make it work for you.
- Cultivating focus – She also shows you the need to focus on the most important things in life and in your every day plan to achieve more and reduce the chances of being overwhelmed by each day’s work.
- Setting daily goals for yourself – Here, you are taught how to plan for everyday and how to make goals that you will be able to achieve easily. She also explains how to keep the goals manageable for yourself.
- Finding a way to give back – Shriver encourages people to seek to give back to the community and the world at large. She explains how there is fulfilment and joy in giving back.
- Living with compassion – Here, the book talks about how you should live with compassion for your benefit as well as for others.
- Choosing people over material things – Here, the books talks about the careful consideration everyone should have when they are about to spend money and also their personal experiences with friends and family.
- Being self aware – This mainly looks at the things you do everyday and asking yourself if they are in line with your goals and purpose in life. Also, you should ask you yourself if they are helping you become the kind of person you want to be.
- Learning to forgive – This topic has been well delved into and brings out the topic of forgiveness in a clear light that is aimed at showing folks how it helps in the overall sense of life and peace.
There are so many other topics you will get in the book which I believe you are going to get so much value out of.
Best Place to Buy the Book
I recommend you to get the book from www.amazon.com because of the great reputation it has at the moment. I also love their customer service and the convenience that comes with purchasing all the things you want under the same roof.
So if you were planning on making online purchases for your work or home, the store should come in handy for you as you can order them all, all at once and save time. You will also get a summary of this book there that will come in handy when reading and having things to refer to in the future.
My Personal Thoughts on the Book
I have to say that the book is easy to relate with. The stories the author gives about her past and the things she has gone through are the almost the same ones that most of us have gone through as well. If not the exact ones, they are quite close to that and they help you see things from many other angles that you never thought of before.
I also like the way she has addressed the topic of self awareness, planning and focus. I have been struggling with this for quite a while now and the way she has put things into perspective makes it clear how these aspects should be addressed.
In summary, the book is a real life changer if you are one of the people who feel life is not going as good as they feel it should and they are ready to make the transition.
And that is pretty much it with the book.
Other similar books on this topic of self improvement I encourage you to read as well are:
- The universe has your back
- Purpose driven life
- Excuses begone DVD
- Breaking the habit of being yourself
- The road back to you
I believe this short review has been helpful as far as understanding the book goes.
If you have any comments, suggestions or questions about it that you would want help with, just drop them below and I will get back to you as soon as I see them.
P.S. I try to be as quick to reply to comments as I can. I aim at responding in under 1 hour but at times I do it in minutes. You can try me out. 🙂